Monday 8 December 2014

Testing testing - Gluten Free Pancakes.

So this is a bit later than I'd hoped, partly because Asda had run out of the GF flour and partly because I had a stomach bug. No one want panckes made when you've been ill!.

So Step one:
Time to adjust my trusty Doryaki recipe. I choose this recipe because I know it works and makes lovely pancakes with normal flour. Basically it's a lovely soft sweet scotch pancake - fingers crossed it still will be when we're finished!

4 Medium eggs
60g Sugar
60g Honey
1 tsp Baking soda, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
240g GF flour (Doves Farm Plain)

9g Gram Flour
8g powdered egg white
3g xanthan gum
40ml Corn/Sunflower oil
80ml Milk

60-80ml Milk
So the orginal recipe uses 30ml of milk and from what we know about GF flour we-re going to need more as it's thirsty Richard Coppedge recipe 3/4 (around 180ml) milk but uses less eggs.
As a rough guide I tend to add around 2tbsp (30ml) more fluid per 100g GF flour so we're looking at possibly an extra 60-80ml milk maybe we'll see how the batter looks and if we need to add a bit more.

Lucky me when I ordered the Gram flour from Asda what I got was exactly what I wanted - Besan Flour which is a combination of Chana Dal and Yellow pea!

From what I worked out last time, for the whole recipe we'll need around 9g Gram Flour, 8g powdered egg white, and 3g xanthan gum and all I'm going to do is add the gram flour and egg white to the flour and mix it gently with a hand whisk and I'll add the xanthan gum in with the 80ml milk to let it's do it's work as a hydro-colloid (lightly whisking with a fork to incorporate at first - it'll look a bit gunky after it's rested for a while, give it a quick stir before adding it in) - I'm going to add that bit of the milk to the mix before letting it rest (remember thirsty flour!)

Wow! It looks like a stretchy dough at this stage! That's pretty interesting something is definitely doing it's job pretending to be Gluten in this.

We're still going to let is rest, so the the flours have a chance to soak up some moisture. I'm then use the 60-80ml to loosen up the dough to make it a looser batter to fry, it needs to be runny enough to fall off the spoon but thick enough to keep a bit of shape (a lot is down to personal preference anyway so make it to the thickness you want!)

The mix didn't flatten quite a well as I'd hoped and was making quite chunky pancakes so I used the back of a spoon to help smooth it out a bit - this seemed to work pretty well. You need to be very careful with the heat of the frying pan, too hot and they will just burn, you want a pretty low heat 2 or 3 on mine works about right for me, but I had mine too high to start with and they ended up burnt.
If you want to pipe pancake shapes/patterns this batter will be pretty good.

Mine tasted off...so off in fact I decided I better check my ingredients and discovered my oil was out of date by about 6months (this is what happens when you have a baby). Gross.

Apart from their rancid taste - the pancake texture and colour was really good so I will try again but with different oil next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment